Welcome to West Pennine Motorcycle Training!
20/01/16 New regulations.
New regulations for larger heavier and more powerfull bikes to be used for test will be introduced next year.
14/01/14 New low height bikes
Since the removal of the 125cc 33bhp test it has become clear to us that the shorter potential rider has been rather left in the lurch. Most people are not happy with a 125cc for life licence, as such we have assembled a range of very low bikes for the shorter rider to have an option of taking a larger capacity bike test. Ring us for details.
9/01/12 LAST YEAR PRIOR TO MAJOR CHANGES!
The third european directive on the driving licence comes into force 19/01/13 some of the main points are below.
- A change to the age limits before various licences can be taken, for example, Direct Access will move from 21 to 24. The existing automatic up grade from 33bhp to DAS after 2yrs will end, ie you will need to take six practical tests and one theory if you start motorcycling at 17yrs and want a full unrestricted licence!
- A change to the motorcycles that can be used for the various tests. The 33bhp licence (what you get when you take your test on a 125cc machine now) will require a test on a 400cc plus bike and you will need to be 19yrs or over (currently 17yrs); again nothing can be dramatically altered NB this licence will no longer upgrade you will only have a 33bhp licence until you take another two tests. Direct access (24yrs and above) will be taken on a 600cc machine or above this will have significant consequences for shorter riders.
- The third european directive on the driving licence gives 2 options for a rider to progress through each licence stage - either take two tests at each licence step or take 7 hours training until the rider reaches the approved level for each licence step. This may be an improvement if you don't like tests as you could train to a level rather than take a test, however the DSA has already decided it doesn't like this option as it is not in their interest (examiners / supervisors / admin staff jobs) so don't hold your breath on this last one. 2012 is the last year you can avoid these changes.
We are now a bikesafe partner in conjuction with Local Police Forces. We are also in partnership with the Geton Scheme to encourage new motorcyclists and supported by the motorcycle manufacturers.
We will be moving to our new premises at Gladstone St, Blackburn from 1st October 2010. This is a brand new site with a superb 0.5 Acre high grip newly laid training surface. Other improvements are large heated classroom (ideal for those winter days), on site computer based theory practice, hot drink/snack facilities, and dedicated (and heated) male/female toilet/change areas (due to demand from our ever increasing number of lady riders- we do listen!). This is a major investment in rider training showing our total commitment to the future, get in touch soon!
4/11/09 UNDER 24YRS PLEASE READ!
The third european directive on the driving licence comes into force shortly some of the main points are below.
- A change to the age limits before various licences can be taken, for example, Direct Access will move from 21 to 24. The existing up grade from 33bhp to DAS will end ie you will need to take six practical tests and one theory if you start motorcycling at 17yrs and want a full unrestricted licence.
- A change to the motorcycles that can be used for the various tests. The 33bhp licence (what you get when you take your test on a 125cc machine) will require a test on a 400cc plus bike and you will need to be 19yrs or over (currently 17yrs); again nothing can be dramatically altered NB this licence will no longer upgrade you will only have a 33bhp licence until you take another two tests. Direct access (24yrs and above) will be taken on a 600cc machine or above.
- The third european directive on the driving licence gives 2 options for a rider to progress through each licence stage - either take two tests at each licence step or take 7 hours training until the rider reaches the approved level for each licence step. This may be an improvement if you don't like tests as you could train to a level rather than take a test, however the DSA has already decided it doesn't like this option as it is not in their interest (examiners/supervisors/admin staff jobs) so don't hold your breath on this last one. Start motorcycling before the burocrats stop you!
Module one test video just released by DSA. Module One Bike Test
We now have access to the new motorcycle test station (one of only a very few in the country) and trainees will be able to practice the new test manouvers on the actual site they will take the test on. As we are only 5 min from the new test station all your training and testing can be done in the same area, with no long time wasting travel times to a test centre situated were you have not trained!
The last single part tests have been released today, and the forward booking system shut. There is now a finite number of tests be quick!
12/01/09 TO GUARANTEE A PLACE ON THE CURRENT SINGLE PART TEST YOU WILL NEED TO BOOK PRIOR TO 20TH FEB, BOOKINGS AFTER THIS DATE CAN NOT BE GUARANTEED A PLACE ON THE SINGLE TEST.
5/12/08 LATEST CHANGES TO NEW TEST
NO NEW TEST DATES WILL BE ISSUED AFTER 20TH FEB 2009 FOR THE CURRENT SINGLE TEST - SUPPLY OF DATES IS LIMITED.
The DSA has just informed us that the new test from April 2009 will be in two individual practical parts.
This will mean two visits to the motorcycle test station on different days and a licence only being issued after both parts have been passed. The implications on course costs and length of course/training is significant and will be the end of short cheaper courses/training for riders with prior experience. The degree of difficulty will also increace, although some argue that the test has been focused at the wrong areas and other methods would have better suited the goal of improving motorcycle safety. The new test has been forced on the UK by european law, as we haven't seen a european bureaucrat ride a bike we are very unsure this is the correct way to go. This will happen in April it will not be put back again don't delay book today and avoid it.
The new super test has been put back for a few months due to delays in building the new sites, we now have additional tests on the current easier system available immediately, don't delay this is only a stay of execution!
The new Blackburn Test Station is well underway, meaning that all our trainees will be able to train and test in the same area and we will have easy access to the site for pre-test practice - a massive advantage. Most training schools are well over 30 miles from the nearest MPTC (multi purpose test centre).
Radio Lancashire DJ Brent is running a bike v car cost comparison we ran an 'on air CBT' and Brent has been lent a Piagio 125cc by Vin Cunninghams Darwen.
Our residential course trainees now have the benefit of free wi fi connection at their hotel.
With fuel at £***?? / litre we are noticing a lot of people returning or starting on bikes especially under 250cc bikes. These bikes can return over 100mpg you do not have to pay to park them, and they are exempt from the new Manchester / London congestion charges. Its a no brainer get out of your car and save £1000's.
Our new fleet of 08 125cc Yamahas have now arrived)
We are now registered with the DSA to conduct advanced post test courses on the ERS (enhanced rider) scheme. As such certificates of completion issued will allow the rider to get insurance discounts. A must for the younger rider with high insurance and a very sensible option for the more mature biker.
Well a new year begins. The DSA is part way through building the new North West Motorcycle Test Station at Blackburn which will be running the new super test later in summer . Our test wait lists are rising if you have put off learning to ride / passing your test get organised now before the far more stringent and costly super test arrives! You have been warned!
GAME ON ! Journalist from Max Power about to be given the full Nurburgring Treatment!
West Pennine was reacently contracted by Microsoft (xbox360) to help launch the new PGR4 game in Germany which includes both bike and car laps of the Nurburgring 14 mile circuit. We took members of the press and TV on pillion rides in Germany alongside BMW M3 and Porsche race cars. If you are interested in a circuit experience / ride or drive click the drivertuition link on the links page.
The new test is set to start October 2008 indeed work has begun at the new Supercentre at Blackburn in order to conduct the new test. We have pre-booked existing tests but with wait lists projected at over 3 months prior to the Law changes it makes sense to get your test done ASAP! Candidates taking tests spring 2008 may well find that if they messed up on test that they would be unable to get a re test prior to the changes. Be warned!
The theory test will be 30% more difficult from the end of August, currently though there are still plenty of slots available. We can arrange theories for you but if you are thinking of training after August we would recommend doing the theory ASAP (the certificate is valid for two years).
Our new 2007 training bikes have arrived today!
Bikes to be exempt from road charging. In the proposed Manchester charging scheme, bikes will be exempt from congestion charges.
The new supertest arrives in 2008, 2007 will be the last year under the current regulations, test fees and training fees will at least double to comply with the new test. Age restictions for DAS will rise to 24 from 21. If you are aproaching 21 or have kept putting off your training and test now is the time to get on with it. The MRTA forcasts a busy year with possible high waiting lists while people rush to beat the new far more difficult test.
With improvements in our instructor base and online booking facilities we can now offer a total service to get you a full licence within seven days of booking!
Instructor training courses are now running we normally run one per month for more details on these courses contact us.
Our new online booking is up and running with online dates, and free theory revision material with all full licence courses.
From 2008 Direct Access will only be open to riders aged over 24. The new extended test will also come in , book now and avoid the inevitable costs and extra hoops you will have to jump through.
Booking Motorcycle Training Courses?
Simply telephone our main office on: 01254 698907, email us or complete our online booking form.